Thursday 8 October 2009

Play Time!

Yep, I've been playing! I had a great day yesterday creating my Sis Boom Pow blocks for V! Head over to the blog and see them there!

But here's a sneak peak!
Today, as well as starting the quilting an older quilt top on my frame, I dropped the feed dogs on the Bernie and grabbed my sandwich piece I use to check the tension for the Juki and had a little play with some proper free motion quilting. It's been a while since I did it this way, but I wanted to see if I could do pebbles/circles. OK, there is room for improvement, but for a first attempt I'm pretty pleased, and it became easier as I went along too!
I guess a little practice everyday will improve these and samples.

So what am I striving for? well to improve the standard of what I do, to enjoy the process, ultimately to really be proud of my quilting. Perhaps I should get myself a little motivational strategy, although I am driven by the creativity, should I structure it more? Could I achieve more by doing this?
How do you organise your crafting/artistry? Are you like me flitting from one thing that grabs you to the next, sometimes (OK, most of the time, (grin)) leaving projects as work in progress, or do you stick to one project at a time, structure your creativity, and if so, how? Perhaps I should concentrate on one thing mastering it to the highest level before I move on ...
... like I said, I need a little motivational strategy!
Happy quilting!

P.S. I just thought I'd warn you, this is post numer 97 for me, I'm hunting my stash for something to celebrate 100 with a giveaway, so watch this space!

5 comments:

Lis Harwood said...

Love the block Trudi and well done on the FMQ practice. Re organisation....yep, I'm like you, flit, flit, flit!!!!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Your sneak peak block looks great. I haven't tried the pebble quilting yet. I don't think I could handle doing it on a large quilt. Maybe a runner or something small.

I crochet, knit, and sew. I usually have at least one project from each craft going at the same time. Knitting and crochet are great for take along projects while quilting gives me the most satisfaction.

I will dabble in another craft but only for a project or two. I prefer to stick with one craft until I am at least an intermediate at it. I do believe that quilting will be my forever craft though. I keep trying new techniques and patterns. I try to learn something or improve a technique with each project I work on.

Greg said...

Your free motion work looks great, better than anything I could do. I'm watching your space looking for # 100...

QuiltSue said...

Your pebbles look great. Off now to see your Sis blocks.

sweetypie said...

trudi, be a starling!hop from one tasty morsel to another , get a really big wardrobe to hide the ufo,s in and eat 100 malteasers to celebrate your 100th blog